Angèle’s Maple and Apple Jars Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free),
hypotoxic and vegan
By: Cuisine l'Angélique
- 400 g (1 1/4 cups) maple syrup
- 125 g (1/2 cup) plant-based milk substitute
- 35 g (1/4 cup) margarine
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) organic cornstarch diluted in the same amount of water
- 1 large or 2 medium Cortland apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 ml (1 tsp) lemon juice
- Water for cooking
- 50 g (1/2 cup) walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) maple syrup
- Pour maple syrup and plant-based milk substitute into a medium saucepan. Add margarine and bring mixture to a boil.
- Add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, continuously stirring. Remove from heat and place pan in the sink. Run cold water into the sink (outside/around the pan)to cool the mixture.
- Place apples in a frying pan. Add lemon juice and just enough water to cover the apples.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for a few minutes, until apples are tender.
- Remove from heat, drain and place apples on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb excess water. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, dry-grill nuts over low heat (make sure they don't burn). Add maple syrup, stirring constantly, just enough to caramelize the nuts. Set aside.
- To fill the jars, simply proceed as follows: place part of the maple mixture in the bottom of a jar (or a cup), add the apples, half the nuts and cover the maple mixture. Sprinkle the remaining walnuts on top.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours or until cold.
Anyone with a sweet tooth will love this!