Lemon Pie Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free) and hypotoxic
- 1 9-inch (23 cm) baked crust
- 145 g (2/3 cup) cane sugar
- 35 g (1/4 cup) organic cornstarch*
- 375 g (1 1/2 cups) plant-based milk substitute
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 55 g (1/4 cup) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 10 ml (2 tsp) organic lemon zest
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) cane sugar
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Then whisk in the plant-based milk substitute to break up the mixture.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring continuously with a whisk. Continue cooking until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Slowly pour 250 ml (1 cup) of the hot mixture to the egg yolks, whisking.
- Return the mixture to the pan and cook again over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and zest.
- Pour the mixture into the cooked crust.
- Beat egg whites with sugar until soft peaks form.
- Place the meringue on top of the warm filling and form peaks for decoration.
- Bake at 300° F (150° C) on the centre rack of the oven until the meringue is golden brown. Allow to cool at room temperature.
A creamy and refreshing lemon pie!
* Favor the use of organic cornstarch.
Agar-agar alternative: replace sugar and cornstarch with 160 g (1/2 cup) maple syrup and 5 ml (1 tsp agar-agar powder). The mixture will thicken only as it cools. Wait for it to set before covering with meringue. .
The texture will be less creamy, but we also opt for this alternative at our house!
NUTRITION FACTS260 Calories
- 14 %Fat: 9 g
- Saturated 1,5 g
8 %Trans 0 g
- Polyunsaturated: 2 g
- Omega-6: 0,9 g
- Omega-3: 0,5 g
- Monounsaturated: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 65 mg
- 3 %Sodium: 60 mg
- 13 %Carbohydrate: 40 g
- 4 %Fibres: 1 g
- Sugars: 22 g
- Protéines: 5 g
- 6 %Vitamin A
- 8 %Vitamin C
- 8 %Calcium
- 8 %Iron
- 10 %Magnesium
- 25 %Manganese
- 15 %Sélénium