Pie Crust: half clarified butter, half oilRecette sans gluten, sans produits laitiers (sans caséine),
By: Cuisine l'Angélique* SEE VIDEO
YIELD : 6 to 8 crusts 23 cm (9 inches)
- 770 g (5 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour "La Merveilleuse"
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) flaxseed
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) sea salt
- 220 g (1 cup) clarified butter (or ghee)
- 100 g (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 300 g (1 1/4 cups) cold water
- 1 medium egg (45 g)
- Finely grind the flaxseed in a coffee grinder. In a large bowl, combine flour, ground flax and salt.
- Add the clarified butter in pieces and mix completely with your hands or a pastry cutter (I prefer using my hands). In another bowl, beat together the oil, water and egg. You can use a fork, a whisk or a stand mixer. What matters most in making pie dough containing oil, is that the water and oil are very well emulsified.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour, pour in the liquid mixture and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for a minimum of three to four hours (ideally overnight).
Instructions for rolling dough
- Divide the dough and flour the balls before flattening them, so that they are not sticky.
- Gently roll out each ball on a floured surface on one side only, without turning the dough over.
- If you need to move it, do so gently, lifting it gently and flouring the surface and rolling pin again. Always make sure the dough doesn't stick.
- Fold the dough in half, gently place it on the pie plate and then unfold it.
- Bake at 350°F on the bottom rack, until golden.
YOU CAN FREEZE UNCOOKED CRUSTS BY SEPARATING THEM WITH WAX PAPER.