Apple Pie Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free) and hypotoxic
PORTIONS : 12
- 4 8-inch (20 cm) uncooked pie crusts or
2 10-inch (25 cm) deep plate uncooked pie crusts
- 950 g (8 cups) sliced apples
- 105 g (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 90 ml (6 tbsp) tapioca starch
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 0.5 ml (1/8 tsp) ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten, for wash
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Line the bottom of a pie plate with one of the crusts.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, maple syrup, tapioca starch and spices. Stir gently with a wooden spoon.
- Pour this mixture into the pie plate and place the other crust on top, taking care to brush the edges with beaten egg to seal.
- Make incisions on top to allow steam to escape and brush with beaten egg for a nice wash.
- Bake on the bottom rack for about 60 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- The cooking time will vary, depending on whether you use two 8-inch (20 cm) moulds or a single 10-inch (25 cm) mould.
The aroma of a baked apple pie always infuses the house with a sweet, comforting smell. Apples remind us of autumn, that beautiful season so rich in color!