Cherry and Rhubarb Pie Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free), hypotoxic and vegan
PORTIONS : 8
- 2 9-inch (23 cm) pie crusts, uncooked
- 325 g (2 1/2 cups) frozen Morello cherries, pitted
- 300 g (2 1/2 cups) rhubarb, cut into 3/8-inch (1 cm) slices
- 120g (1 cup) maple sugar
- 75 ml (5 tbsp) organic cornstarch
- 1 beaten egg, for egg wash glaze (omit for vegan version)
- Heat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch (23 cm) deep pan.
- In a bowl, combine cherries, rhubarb, maple sugar and cornstarch.
- Pour this mixture into the pie pan and place the other crust on top, taking care to brush the edges with the beaten egg to seal well. (For an attractive presentation, lattice the top crust instead of rolling a full crust.)
- Make incisions on top to allow steam to escape and brush with beaten egg to obtain a nice wash.
- Bake on the bottom rack for about 60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Let rest before serving to allow the cornstarch to thicken.
Cherries go well with the tangy taste of rhubarb. Cherry lovers will be seduced by this winning combination!
* Morello cherries, whose taste resembles the cherries used in the black forest cake, are really the ones that give the best result for this pie. If you don't have access to frozen Morello cherries, you can also use preserved cherries, which you'll just have to drain before using them. A full jar is required for this recipe.
** The cooking time will be a little longer with frozen fruit.