Coconut Oil Pie Crust Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free) and hypotoxic
YIELD : 4 croûtes de 23 cm (9 po)
- 385 g (2 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour "La Merveilleuse"
- 0.5 ml (1/8 tsp) salt
- 100 g (1/2 cup) coconut oil
- 50 g (1/4 cup) light olive oil
- 160g (2/3 cup) water
- 1 medium egg (45 g), beaten
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt.
- In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil over low heat.
- In another bowl, beat together the oil, water and egg. It is important that the water and oil are very well emulsified. Add the melted coconut oil and beat again.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour, pour in the liquid mixture and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for a minimum of six hours (ideally overnight).
Instructions for rolling dough
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator at least 15 minutes before rolling it as it will be very firm and this makes it more malleable.
- Divide the dough and flour the portions before rolling them, so that they are not sticky.
- Gently roll each portion on a floured surface on one side, without turning the dough.
- Move it gently, lifting it and re-flouring the surface and rolling pin. Always make sure the dough doesn't stick.
- Fold the dough in half, place gently onto the plate and unfold.
- Bake at 350 °F (180nbsp;°C) on the bottom rack until golden brown.
YOU CAN FREEZE THE UNCOOKED CRUSTS BY SEPARATING THEM WITH WAXED PAPER.
* If you do not follow a diet excluding dairy products or if you follow the hypotoxic diet, you can replace coconut oil with clarified butter (ghee). This butter, also called cooking butter, is consistent with the hypotoxic diet because casein (milk protein) is removed from the latter.
Use a coconut oil with a very mild taste, so that the coconut flavor does not dominate.
Here is the coconut oil I use in all my recipes:
NUTRITION FACTS120 Calories
- 11 %Fat: 7 g
- Saturated 4 g
21 %Trans 0,1 g
- Polyunsaturated: 0,6 g
- Omega-6: 0,3 g
- Omega-3: 0,2 g
- Monounsaturated: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 5 mg
- 1 %Sodium: 15 mg
- 4 %Carbohydrate: 12 g
- 4 %Fibres: 1 g
- Sugars: 0 g
- Protéines: 1 g
- 2 %Vitamin A
- 2 %Vitamin C
- 2 %Calcium
- 4 %Iron
- 5 %Magnesium
- 20 %Manganese
- 5 %Phosphorus