Maple Sugar Chiffon Cake Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free) and hypotoxic
- 75 g (1 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour "La Merveilleuse"
- 10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 0.5 ml (1/8 tsp) salt
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 160 g (1/2 cup) maple syrup
- 125 g (1/2 cup) plant-based milk substitute
- 50 g (1/4 cup) light olive oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 3.5 ml (3/4 tsp) cream of tartar
- 100 g (2/3 cup) maple sugar nuggets
- Maple flakes, as desired, for decoration
Maple sugar "7-minute" icing
- 2 egg whites
- 80g (1/3 cup) cold water
- 120g (1 cup) maple sugar
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add egg yolks, maple syrup, plant-based milk substitute, oil and vanilla extract. Using an electric mixer, beat at maximum speed or in a stand mixer with the flat paddle at medium speed for about 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites. Start gently, add the cream of tartar, then beat at maximum speed until stiff peaks form.
- Stir the egg whites into the flour mixture, gently folding with a spatula. Then fold in the maple sugar nuggets, still with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into an unoiled chimney pan and bake on the centre rack of the oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Turn the cake over and balance it on a glass. Let rest for 1 hour. To unmould, pass the blade of a knife between the cake and the pan and then place on a serving plate.
- Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Combine all ingredients in the top of a double boiler.
- Place the top of the double boiler only when the water starts to boil (otherwise, your whites will cook too quickly and you won't get a proper icing). The water should not touch the upper pan while boiling, but rather generate the necessary heat that will warm the top.
- Simmering the water over medium heat, beat at the maximum speed of an electric mixer for 7 minutes, until firm peaks form.
- Remove from heat and glaze your cake. If desired, sprinkle with maple flakes.
No one will be able to resist this maple sugar cake, so tender and so fluffy that everyone will ask for more.