Decadent Chocolate and Cherry Vegan Cake Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free),
hypotoxic and vegan
By: Cuisine l'Angélique
- 10 g (1 tbsp) chia
- 125 g (1/2 cup) unsweetened applesauce
- 100 g (1/2 cup) light olive oil
- 10 ml (2 tsp) vanilla extract
- 235 g (1 2/3 cups) all-purpose flour "La Merveilleuse"
- 50 g (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp) cocoa
- 7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsps) baking powder
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) baking soda
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
- 250 g (1 cup) plant-based milk substitute
- 10 ml (2 tsp) cider vinegar
- 220 g (1 cup) cane sugar
- 195 g (1 1/2 cups) pitted and halved cherries (fresh or frozen cherries)
- 100 g 70% dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 100 g 70% dark chocolate
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) plant-based milk substitute
- 22.5 ml (1 1/2 tbsp) margarine
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C). Oil a chimney pan.
- In a coffee grinder, finely grind the chia seeds. In a bowl, whisk together ground chia, apple sauce, olive oil and vanilla. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Combine plant-based milk substitute and cider vinegar.
- After the 15 minutes of rest, add the cane sugar to the chia mixture. Using an electric mixer, beat for about 1 minute.
- Add the flour mixture, alternating with the plant-based milk substitute and beating well after each addition. Start and finish with the flour mixture. Beat until mixture thickens.
- Add the cherries and chocolate pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the dough evenly into the pan. Bake on the centre rack of the oven for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes, then unmould and let cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine plant-based milk substitute and chocolate. Heat over low heat until chocolate is completely melted.
- Remove from heat, add margarine and vanilla extract and stir well.
- Cover the top of the cake with the ganache, letting it run down the sides.