Honey Lavender Chiffon Cake Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free) and hypotoxic
By: Cuisine l'Angélique in collaboration with Chef Stef Angel
- 250g (1 cup) water
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) dried lavender
- 175 g (1 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour "La Merveilleuse"
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried lavender*
- 10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 0.5 ml (1/8 tsp) salt
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 120g (1/2 cup) honey
- 125 g (1/2 cup) lavender-concentrated tea (prepared as described in step 1)
- 50 g (1/2 cup) light olive oil
- 10 ml (2 tsp) vanilla extract
- 3.5 ml (3/4 tsp) cream of tartar
- Start by preparing a concentrated lavender infusion as follows: bring the water to a boil and then add the 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of dried lavender. Remove from heat, cover and leave to infuse for 1 hour and then filter. Keep 125 g (1/2 cup) of the tea for the preparation of the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, dried lavender, baking powder and salt.
- Add egg yolks, honey, 125 g (1/2 cup) concentrated lavender tea, oil and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer at maximum speed or in a stand mixer with the flat beater at medium speed for about 5 minutes.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites. Start beating gently, add the cream of tartar, then beat at maximum speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter with a spatula. Pour the mixture into an unoiled chimney pan and bake on the centre rack of the oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Turn the cake over and balance it on a glass. Let rest for 1 hour. To unmould, pass the blade of a knife between the cake and the pan and then place on a serving plate.