Queen Elizabeth Cake Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free) and hypotoxic
By: Cuisine l'Angélique
- 220 g (1 1/2 cups) dates, pitted and halved
- 250g (1 cup) water
- 235 g (1 2/3 cups) all-purpose flour "La Merveilleuse"
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) baking soda
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
- 2 large eggs (110 g)
- 120g (1/2 cup) honey
- 85g (1/3 cup) applesauce
- 65 g (1/3 cup) light olive oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 50 g (1/2 cup) walnuts, chopped
Sugar cream filling:
- 70g (1 cup) shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 180 g (1 cup) brown sugar (or 110 g (1/2 cup) sucanat if you follow the hypotoxic diet)
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) cream (or soy cream for a dairy-free version)
- 90 ml (6 tbsp) butter (or margarine for a dairy-free version)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C). Oil a 9-inch x 13-inch (23 cm x 33 cm) pan.
- In a saucepan, bring dates and water to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until smooth. If necessary, crush the dates with a pestle once they are cooked.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine egg, honey, applesauce, oil and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer until frothy (about 2 minutes). Add the mashed dates and beat again.
- Stir the dry mixture into the liquids and beat using an electric mixer, until the mixture thickens (about 1 minute). Add the nuts and mix.
- Pour the dough into the pan and bake on the centre rack of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven.
- In a small saucepan, bring the topping ingredients to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Spread over cake and return to oven for 5 minutes. For those who prefer a slightly "crunchy" icing on top, simply set the oven to grilling mode (broil), watch carefully, and remove from the oven as soon as the filling begins to brown.
NUTRITION FACTS180 Calories
- 15 %Fat: 10 g
- Saturated 4,5 g
23 %Trans 0 g
- Polyunsaturated: 1 g
- Omega-6: 0,7 g
- Omega-3: 0,2 g
- Monounsaturated: 4,5 g
- Cholesterol: 25 mg
- 3 %Sodium: 75 mg
- 7 %Carbohydrate: 22 g
- 8 %Fibres: 2 g
- Sugars: 10 g
- Protéines: 2 g
- 2 %Vitamin A
- 2 %Vitamin C
- 6 %Calcium
- 6 %Iron
- 10 %Magnesium
- 25 %Manganese
- 10 %Vitamin B12