Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free),
hypotoxic and vegan*.
PORTIONS : 6
- 140 g (1 cup) all-purpose flour "La Merveilleuse"
- 45 g (1/2 cup) cocoa
- 7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsps) baking powder
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
- 65 g (1/3 cup) light olive oil
- 110 g (1/2 cup) cane sugar
- 2 eggs*
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
Strawberry Ice Cream
(This step requires an ice cream maker) **
- 750 ml (3 cups) sliced fresh strawberries
- 400 ml canned coconut milk
- 250 ml (1 cup) plant-based milk substitute
- 5 ml (1 tsp) guar gum***
- 105 grams (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- for a ‘sweeter’ version, you can add 75g to 110g (1/3 to 1/2 cup) cane sugar
- In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, combine oil, cane sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir vigorously with a whisk.
- Stir the dry mixture into the liquids and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the dough and let stand in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Roll about 1/4 of the dough at a time (it should be very cold), to 5mm (1/4 inch) thick, on a floured surface. Make sure the dough is well floured before rolling and also make sure there is always flour underneath.
- Cut the cookies with a 3.5-inch (9 cm) cookie cutter. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake on top rack for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Gently remove the cookies with a spatula and let them cool on a wire rack.
PREPARATION OF THE STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Mix until smooth.
- Refrigerate the mixture for about 4 hours.
- Then transfer to the ice cream maker, following the manufacturer's instructions. The ice cream will have a soft and smooth texture when ready.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and place in the freezer. The ice cream will be ready to make sandwiches when it has a firm consistency.
This recipe will give you about 1 litre of ice cream. Take it out of the freezer for a minimum of 20 minutes before serving as it will be harder than the commercial ice cream.
ASSEMBLING THE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
- Put ice cream between two cookies (about 1/4 cup). Squeeze lightly to distribute the ice cream. If the ice cream is too hard, let it soften at room temperature.
- Wrap the sandwich in plastic wrap and put in the freezer.
- The sandwiches will be ready when the ice cream has regained its firmness.
- Before serving, let it soften slightly.
For the hot days of summer, I have concocted a little treat that will delight young and old... Delicious strawberry ice cream sandwiches!
* EGG-FREE VERSION : Replace the 2 eggs with double the chia egg substitute recipe.
** COMMERCIAL ICE CREAM:Strawberry ice cream is what I suggest for this recipe. However, if you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can also buy an ice cream of your choice. Your ice cream sandwiches will be just as delicious!
Here is the ice cream maker I use. . This model is recommended by Protect Yourself..
*** GUAR GUM: The role of guar gum in ice cream is to allow better stability during freezing (smoothness and avoids the formation of ice crystals).
* You can also replace strawberries with any other small fruit of your choice.