Gluten-Free Tortillas Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free),
hypotoxic and vegan
PORTIONS : 8
- 280 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour "La Merveilleuse"
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) chia seeds
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- 65 g (1/3 cup) light olive oil*
- 180g (3/4 cup) hot water
- In a bowl, combine flour, chia seeds and salt. In a second bowl, beat together olive oil and hot water.
- Stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and mix well with a wooden spoon to form a ball of dough.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of four to six hours.
- Divide the dough into eight equal balls. Always keep the balls cold and take them one by one (you can also put them in the freezer 10 minutes before starting, to help them freeze even more).
- On a well-floured surface, roll each to a tortilla about 15 cm (6 inches) in diameter. Generously flour your dough ball and always make sure there is enough flour on the surface so that it does not stick.
- Place one tortilla at a time in a lightly oiled and already hot non-stick skillet (then keep the temperature low to prevent the tortillas from burning).
- Cook each side for about two minutes. If, after cooling as shown below, your tortillas are not soft, it is because they have overcooked or your stove was too hot.
* Between tortillas, wipe the pan with a paper towel to remove the excess flour that then burns. Brush lightly with oil before each cooking.
As this dough is fragile, fold it in four so that it can easily be placed in the pan and unfolded for cooking.
To cool tortillas and keep them soft:
Cover a plate with a paper towel. Place tortillas on top of each other and cover the last with another paper towel. As soon as they are cooled, wrap them in foil, nicely closed, and then put them in a plastic bag.