Sorghum and Hemp Loaf Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free) and hypotoxic
By : Cuisine l'Angélique
RISING TIME : 1 H 30
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) flaxseed
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) chia
- 280 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour "La Merveilleuse"
- 70 g (1/2 cup) de sorghum flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) instant yeast
- 3.5 ml (3/4 tsp) salt
- 360 g (1 1/2 cups) water at 113 °F (45° C)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) maple syrup or honey
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 30 g (1/4 cup) hemp seeds
- Extra hemp seeds, for garnish
- Finely grind flaxseed and chia in a coffee grinder.
- In a large bowl, combine flax and chia, all-purpose flour, sorghum flour, yeast and salt. Then add the water, oil, maple syrup (or honey) and beaten egg (omit the egg for a vegan version).
- Stir vigorously with an electric mixer or stand mixer with a flat paddle over medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let rise at room temperature, sheltered from drafts, for 60 minutes. After this rest time, stir the dough well with a wooden spoon. Add the hemp seeds and stir again.
- Oil the bottom and sides of a 7-inch (18 cm) diameter glass or pyrex pan. Cover the entire oiled surface with hemp seeds (important to prevent bread from sticking to the mould walls when removing).
- Place the dough in the pan and spread evenly with a wet spatula and sprinkle hemp seeds on top.
- Place in the oven on the central grill with the light on and let rise for about 30 to 40 minutes. The bread will be ready to bake when a slight finger pressure on the dough will leave an imprint (it no longer bounces to the touch).
- Without removing the bread, turn on the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Bake for about 60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Unmould and let cool on a wire rack.
This recipe lets you get that good “cereal” taste typical of sorghum.
The egg included in the recipe simply provides an airier crumb. The recipe works very well without the egg, but the crumb will then have a denser texture, similar to that of a sourdough bread.
RECIPE AND COOKING METHOD
Recipes designed for the conventional oven cannot be used as with a bread maker. To make bread in a bread machine you really must use the recipes we have developed specifically for bread machines.
ONLINE BAKERY CLASSES
Gluten-free baking is a complex area that requires expertise very different from traditional baking. We have developed recipes and cooking techniques for you to bake bread easily.
Our online gluten-free bread cooking class is free. Gluten-free bread will no longer have any secrets!