"Grandmother’s" White Bread Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free) and hypotoxic
COOKING METHOD: CONVENTIONAL OVEN
By: Cuisine l'Angélique
PORTIONS : 12
- 20 g (30 ml / 2 tbsp) chia seeds *
- 385 g (2 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour "La Merveilleuse"
- 5 ml (1 tsp) instant yeast (or baking)
- 3,5 ml (3/4 tsp) salt
- 385 g (1 1/2 cups + 2 tbsp) water 45°C (113°F)
- 1 large egg, beaten (55 g)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) light olive oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) maple syrup (or honey)
- Hemp seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Finely grind the chia seeds in a coffee grinder.
- In a large bowl, blend together the ground chia, yeast and salt. Next add the water, egg, oil, and maple syrup (or honey).
- Blend the mixture with an electric mixer or stand mixer using the flat beater, on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let rise at room temperature, protected from any drafts, for 45 minutes. After this resting time, mix the dough thoroughly using a wooden spoon.
- Line a rectangular mold, 20 cm x 10 cm (8" x 4") or an 18 cm (7") round mold, with parchment paper. You can also simply oil the mold and coat the entire oiled surface (bottom and sides) with hemp seeds. This bypasses the need for parchment paper entirely while making a delicious crust.
- Put the dough in the mold and spread it around evenly using a wet spatula. Then, if you like, sprinkle some hemp seeds on top.
- Place on the middle rack of the oven with the light on, let rise for about 25 to 30 minutes. The bread is ready to bake when your finger, pressed lightly on the dough, leaves an impression (that is, the dough doesn't bounce back). Without removing the bread, open the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Bake for about 60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from mold and place directly on the oven grill, bake another 5 minutes. Let cool on a rack.
* If you use chia seeds that are already commercially ground, the grind is not thin enough and the density is not the same for whole seeds and ground seeds. It is therefore essential to use the measurement in grams and grind your seeds again in a coffee grinder in order to obtain a fine powder.
The aroma of this hot bread of olden times will emanate from the oven and the taste will enchant the whole household.
This recipe is also available for the bread machine:
"GRANDMOTHER’S" WHITE BREAD - BREAD MACHINE
RECIPE AND COOKING METHOD
Recipes designed for the conventional oven cannot be used as with a bread maker. To make bread in a bread machine you really must use the recipes we have developed specifically for bread machines.
ONLINE BAKERY CLASSES
Gluten-free baking is a complex area that requires expertise very different from traditional baking. We have developed recipes and cooking techniques for you to bake bread easily.
Our online gluten-free bread cooking class is free. Gluten-free bread will no longer have any secrets!