Gluten-free bread in the conventional oven Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free), hypotoxic and vegan
By : Cuisine l'Angélique
RISING TIME: 1 H 30
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) flaxseed*
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) chia*
- 385 g (2 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour "La Merveilleuse"
- 7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsps) instant yeast
- 3.5 ml (3/4 tsp) salt
- 360 g (1 1/2 cups) water at 113 °F (45° C)
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
(see vegan version, no eggs, at the bottom of the page)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) light olive oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) maple syrup or honey
- Finely grind the flaxseed and chia in a coffee grinder.
- In a large bowl, combine flaxseed and chia, flour, yeast and salt. Then add the water, eggs, oil and maple syrup (or honey).
- Blend with an electric mixer or a stand mixer with a flat paddle at medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let stand in the oven, light on, for 60 minutes. After this rest time, stir the dough well with a wooden spoon.
- Cover a 9-inch x 5-inch (13 cm x 23 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper or oil it and garnish with seeds of your choice (hemp, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame). Place the dough in the pan and spread evenly with a wet spatula and sprinkle hemp seeds (or other seeds, to taste) on top.
- Place in the oven on the central grill with the light on and let rise for 25 to 30 minutes. The bread will be ready to bake when a slight finger pressure on the dough will leave an imprint (it no longer bounces to the touch).
- Without removing the bread, turn on the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, until golden brown.
- Unmould and let cool on a wire rack.
TIP* If you use flaxseed and chia seeds that are already commercially ground, the grind will not be fine enough and the density is not the same for whole seeds and ground seeds. It is therefore essential to use the measurement in grams and grind your seeds again in the coffee grinder in order to obtain a fine powder.
For an egg-free version, replace the eggs with the following mixture, which you will let stand for 30 minutes before adding to the liquid ingredients:
- 5 ml (1 tsp) chia seeds
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) unsweetened applesauce
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) water
This recipe is also available for the bread machine:
"BASIC BREAD" FOR THE BREAD MACHINE
See all our baking recipes
RECIPE AND COOKING METHOD
Recipes designed for the conventional oven cannot be used as with a bread maker. To make bread in a bread machine you really must use the recipes we have developed specifically for bread machines.
ONLINE BAKERY CLASSES
Gluten-free baking is a complex area that requires expertise very different from traditional baking. We have developed recipes and cooking techniques for you to bake bread easily.
Our online gluten-free bread cooking class is free. Gluten-free bread will no longer have any secrets!