Duck, Orange and Cranberry Turnovers Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free) and hypotoxic
By: Cuisine l'Angélique
SERVINGS : 10 PIECES
- Recipe Coconut oil pie crust
- 120 g (1/2 cup) chicken stock
- 60 g (1/4 cup) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 60g (1/4 cup) sherry
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) maple syrup
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 150 g fondue-ready duck
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped (about 65 g)
- 110 g (1 1/4 cups) leeks, chopped
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) all-purpose flour "La Merveilleuse"
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 0.5 ml (1/8 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) organic orange zest
- 35 g (1/4 cup) dried cranberries
- 1 egg, beaten, for the wash
- In a small saucepan, combine chicken broth, orange juice, sherry, maple syrup and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil, add duck, cover and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes or until duck is cooked. Drain the broth with a sieve over a bowl to separate the broth from the meat. Cut the meat into thin strips. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil and fry onion and leeks over medium-low heat for 5 minutes over medium-low heat. Remove from heat and add flour, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Then add the filtered broth, stirring with a whisk, to avoid lumps. Add salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves and orange zest and return to heat. Whisk the mixture to a boil over medium heat and cook until the sauce thickens.
Add duck and cranberries and mix well. Allow to cool to room temperature and cool completely in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Traditional cooking: Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C).
Hypotoxic cooking: preheat the oven to 230° F(110° C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the pie crust dough 5 mm (1/4 inch) thick and cut 10 squares of 12.5 cm x 12.5 cm (5” x 5”). Brush the edges of each square with the beaten egg.
- Place about 65 ml (1/4 cup) of the mixture in the centre of each square. Close the turnovers. Brush the top of the turnovers with the beaten egg and place a cut-out shape in the centre (I like to put a star on it).
- Place the turnovers on the baking sheet and bake on the centre rack according to the time mentioned above for the chosen cooking method.
A stunning duck starter... and gluten-free!