Brown Sauce * Recipe Gluten-free, dairy-free (casein-free),
hypotoxic and vegan
YIELD: 250 ml (1 cup)
* This recipe is from Renée Frappier's book, Le Guide de l'alimentation saine et naturelle, page 279.
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) light olive oil
- 30 ml (2 c. à soupe) all-purpose flour "La Merveilleuse"
- 240g (1 cup) hot water or broth
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Tamari sauce
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) dried basil
- Heat the oil. Add flour and grill a little over low heat.
- Add water or hot broth, stirring vigorously with a whisk and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir constantly until thickened.
- Season with tamari and basil, garnish with chopped parsley.
This sauce is delicious on millet and quinoa pie. It can be used as a base for an all-purpose sauce, which you can embellish as you wish: add mushrooms and/or a little chopped onion and sauté them with the oil at the beginning, add a little garlic, shallots, and vary the herbs to taste.
NUTRITION FACTS45 Calories
65 ml (1/4 cup)
- 6 %Fat: 4 g
- 1 %Carbohydrate: 2 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Negligible source of saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium, fiber, sugar, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron.